
I've eaten my fair share of foods and enjoy new tastes and textures, but even I have a limit. Some I've encountered are worth craving and others I now use as a minimal standard I hope to never plunge below. Last year in the hot months of a Utah summer I was craving something to cool the heat and began experimenting with new flavors of ice cream and sorbet. With many more than 31 flavors under my belt, I now consider myself a connoisseur of frozen delectables. Expertise never comes without a little failure and I failed big time while trying to save some money.
So last summer I found a couple of really good ice creams before coming across one that Kroger calls Peanut Butter Passion Ice Cream. It was hands down the worse flavor I could imagine coming out of a container of ice cream and I'm NOT a picky eater. It really caught me off guard.
Since Peanut Butter Cups are one of my favorite candies I figured you take out the chocolate and at worst it would still be half as good as a Reese's. Well it turned out that what Kroger calls Peanut Butter Passion, the rest of the world calls laxative. I flushed that mistake good bye as fast as the money I spent on it. (Don't worry Adam and Erin... I ate it all first. No wasted food on my watch.) Apparently others weren't as lucky and came down with Salmonella. I just found this. A recall in January 2009, for the world's worst ice cream. Surprise! Surprise:
Peanut Butter Passion Ice Cream (click on the highlighted words for more details). "Customers who have recently purchased this ice cream should not eat it and return the product to a store for a full refund or replacement"
Needless to say this year I was more cautious searching for 'good' sounding treats. To my delight there was a sale in the frozen section of Macey's while shopping last night. I am happy to report that Dryer's and Breyers did it right. Both had a 2 for $5 discount and I went home with two great new flavors!
#1 Recommended Flavor:

#2 Recommended Flavor:
Both of these premium grade ice cream brands have lots of real fruit. So when you get over heated this summer and need a little cool down, don't look for the multi-purpose Kroger Select Peanut Butter DISASTER. Get something natural with rich flavor.





2 comments:
Breyers Strawberry is really yummy too!!
You're right. I just got some last week and it's already gone. I'm a huge fan of the All Natural flavors now.
Post a Comment